Oral Pathology Biopsy Service
Woody L. Hunt School of Dental Medicine
TTUHSC El Paso
5001 El Paso Drive, MSC 24001
El Paso, TX 79905
We are pleased to announce that the Woody L. Hunt School of Dental Medicine at TTUHSC El Paso is providing oral and maxillofacial pathology services to clinicians in our community, the Greater Southwest Region, and beyond. We strive to deliver high-quality, patient-centered care and work closely with our clinicians to provide the most accurate diagnosis. All specimens are examined by our board-certified oral and maxillofacial pathologist, who has completed specialty training in oral, head and neck pathology. Clinicopathologic correlation is an essential aspect of providing the best possible diagnosis and care. Thus, we encourage submission of clinical information, including clinical photographs and imaging studies, for review along with your specimens. Our pathologist is available to discuss challenging cases with you or answer any questions you may have.
- We provide a full range of anatomic pathology services for biopsies obtained from the oral and maxillofacial region.
- In most cases, we can provide results within 1 to 2 business days of receiving your specimen. (Additional time may be needed in some cases, such as those requiring additional levels, decalcification, special stains, immunohistochemistry, in situ hybridization, or molecular studies.)
- Specimen processing, including most special stains and immunohistochemical studies, is performed in-house by our partner laboratories.
- Reports can be transmitted via fax and/or mailed hard copy.
- Our pathologist will contact the submitting doctor directly in the event of a malignant or otherwise significant diagnosis.
- Services can be billed to the patient’s medical insurance, the patient, or the clinician.
- Complimentary biopsy kits can be sent to you by request.
- Our pathologist is available for initial diagnosis of submitted tissue specimens as well as expert consultation on cases from other institutions.
- If you have any questions prior to submitting your specimen, please feel free to contact us.
Dr. Chi is a professor of oral pathology at the Woody L. Hunt School of Dental Medicine at TTUHSC El Paso. She also has a secondary appointment in the Department of Pathology at the Paul L. Foster School College of Medicine and Medical Staff appointments at University Medical Center and El Paso Children’s Hospital. Prior to relocating to El Paso, she was Professor and Director of Oral Pathology at the Medical University of South Carolina, where she served as a faculty member for 17 years. Dr. Chi earned her D.M.D. from the Harvard School of Dental Medicine in 1998. Upon completing dental school, she served in the U.S. Navy Dental Corps for three years, during which time she completed an Advanced Education in General Dentistry program in San Diego and managed a fleet dental clinic in Yokosuka, Japan. In 2004, she completed a residency in Oral, Head, and Neck Pathology at Emory University. She is a fellow of American Academy of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (AAOMP) and a diplomate of the American Board of Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology (ABOMP). She has held both elected and appointed positions in the AAOMP. Currently, she serves as a Director for the ABOMP and is on the editorial board of Oral Surgery, Oral Medicine, Oral Pathology, and Oral Radiology. Her scholarly interests include oral cancer/precancer and classical descriptive oral pathology. Her published works include over 100 journal articles, books, and book chapters; she is a co-author of the widely used textbook Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology and the companion Color Atlas of Oral and Maxillofacial Diseases. In addition, she is part of an international panel of authors for the next edition of the World Health Organization’s Classification of Head and Neck Tumours and Classification of Genetic Tumour Syndromes.